A slow-cooked delicacy that will instantly become a family favourite.
Ingredients for Eye of the Round:
- 1 boneless eye-round roast
- 4 tsp of kosher or sea salt
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
Instructions for Eye of the Round:
- Sprinkle all sides of the roast evenly with salt. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 18-24 hours.
The next day:
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 225. Pat Roast dry with paper towels; rub sides with oil and sprinkle all sides with pepper. Heat remaining oil in a non-stick fry pan over med/high heat until starting to smoke. Brown roast on each side 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer roast to a wire rack roasting pan. Roast until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted to the roast registers 125 for medium (1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours)
- Turn oven off; leave roast in the oven, without opening the door, until the meat probe thermometer or instant read inserted to the centre of the roast reads 140 degrees (30 – 50 minutes). Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Slice meat cross-wise as thinly as possible and serve.
The reason this works is that salting and searing are great but cooking long and slow the natural enzymes act as natural tenderizers.