A slow-cooked delicacy that will instantly become a family favourite.
Ingredients for Cha Han Rice:
- 1 boneless eye-round roast
- 4 tsp of kosher or sea salt
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
Instructions for Cha Han Rice:
- Sprinkle all sides of the roast evenly with salt. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 18-24 hours.
The next day:
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 225. Pat Roast dry with paper towels; rub sides with oil and sprinkle all sides with pepper. Heat remaining oil in a non-stick fry pan over med/high heat until starting to smoke. Brown roast on each side 3 to 4 minutes
- Transfer roast to a wire rack roasting pan. Roast until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted to the roast registers 125 for medium (1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours)
- Turn oven off; leave roast in the oven, without opening the door, until the meat probe thermometer or instant read inserted to the center of the roast reads 140 degrees (30 – 50 minutes). Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Slice meat cross-wise as thinly as possible and serve.
The reason why this works is that salting and searing are great but cooking long and slow the natural enzymes act as natural tenderizers.