Grilling on a stick is a tradition that's been around for centuries, with roots in many cultures around the world. From Greek souvlaki to Middle Eastern shish kebabs to Japanese yaki niku, skewer cooking has been a staple of outdoor cooking for generations.
If you're a seasoned griller or even just a beginner, this guide will give you everything you need to know about grilling meat the old-fashioned way!
The Basics of Grilling on a Stick
- Choosing the Right Meat: When it comes to grilling on a stick, you have many options. Pork, chicken, and beef are all great choices, and each one brings a unique flavour to the table. If you're looking for something a little different, you can also try fish or tofu.
- Preparing the Meat: To ensure that your meat stays juicy and tender on the grill, it's important to marinate it first. This can be as simple as a drizzle of oil and some salt and pepper, or you can get creative and make a more elaborate marinade with herbs and spices. Just be sure to let the meat marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours) before grilling.
- Building the Skewer: When it's time to build your skewer, be sure to alternate meat with vegetables if you are using them. Bell peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, and mushrooms are all great options, and they'll help to keep the meat from sticking to the grates.
- Grilling the Skewers: To grill your skewers, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Place the skewers on the grates and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until the meat is cooked through, and the vegetables are tender. Be sure to turn the skewers occasionally to ensure even cooking.
Chicken Souvlaki Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 pound Nutrafarms boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
Chicken Souvlaki Recipe Instructions:
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, olive oil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the skewers on the grates and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the chicken souvlaki hot, with a side of tzatziki sauce, pita bread, rice, and salad for an authentic Greek dinner.
Final Thoughts: Grilling 101
Grilling meat on sticks is a timeless tradition that has been enjoyed by cultures all over the world for centuries. The key to success is following these 3 simple steps - marinate your meat, skewer it properly, and grill it to perfection.
Don't be afraid to try different meats and vegetables, as the versatility of this cooking method allows for endless flavour combinations. So get your friends and family together, fire up the grill, and enjoy a delicious and satisfying meal that is sure to become a summertime staple.