How to Grill The Perfect Steak
Grilling the perfect steak is what separates professionals' grillers from those that don't take barbecuing too seriously. It's a great skill that every Canadian that's serious about cooking should master. Although, it's easier said than done. Trust me, I've burnt thousands of dollars' worth of prime cut steak in my day.
We sat down with Chef D, the corporate chef at Nutrafarms, and he showed us a few simple pointers that completely changed the way I grill.
Ingredients for Grill The Perfect Steak:
Just like any exceptional recipe, it all begins with the ingredients. That's precisely why Chef D opts for the exquisite Nutrafarms Black Angus grass-fed beef steaks for his culinary masterpiece. Emphasizing the unique flavour profiles and textures of each beef cut, Chef D showcases his grilling finesse through strip loin steaks and delectable 6oz fillet Mignon from Nutrafarms' offerings.
However, a crucial step often overlooked by amateur grillers is an absolute necessity. Unless you're a seasoned pro with over 10,000 steaks under your belt, using a meat thermometer is imperative - every single time!
Instructions for Grilling The Perfect Steak:
- One of the most important steps to grilling the perfect steak is starting with a clan and HOT grill. ChefD preheated the grill to a temperature of 475 but says anything between 450 and 500 will do.
- Another essential tip is that when you place your steaks on the grill, you should not over handle them. This means they should only be flipped over once and rotated once per-side.
- To cook a medium steak, you should let it cook for about 2 minutes before rotating it with a corner turn. The quarter turn will give your steaks the nice grill marks you find in the best steakhouses.
- Remember, you are only as good as your tools. Follow the grilling guide on this page and make sure you check the temperature with your meat thermometer.
- After you've taken your steak off of the grill, it's really important to let it sit. ChefD explained that by letting a steak sit for 5 minutes, you really seal in the flavour and lock in all the juices.
- The final tip that Chef D gave us about how to
grill the perfect steak was to make sure that you are using a high quality knife and cutting your steak against the grain.
If you follow the 6 simple yet crucial tips above, you're almost guaranteed to grill the perfect steak each and every time you fire up the BBQ.