How to Grill The Perfect Steak
Grilling the perfect steak is what separates professionals grillers from those that don't take barbecuing too serious. It's a great skill that every Canadian that's serious about cooking should master. Although, it's easier said than done. Trust me, I've burnt thousands of dollars worth of prime cut steak in my day.
We sat down with Chef D, the corporate chef at Nutrafarms and he showed us a few simple pointers that completely changed the way I grill.
Like all great recipes, the key is starting with quality ingredients. That's why Chef D is grilling some of Nutrafarms black angus grass fed beef steaks. As a way of highlighting the differences in flavour taste and texture that each cut of beef offers, Chef D decided to demonstrate his grilling skills by using not only strip loin steaks but some of the 6oz cuts of fillet mignon that Nutrafarms provides as well.
One step more amateur grillers leave out is essential. Unless you've grilled more than 10 000 steaks you should be using a meat thermometer; Every Time!
- On of the most important steps to grilling the perfect steak is starting with a clan and HOT grill. Chef D preheated the grill to a temperature of 475 but says anything between 450 and 500 will do.
- Another important tip is that when you place your steaks on the grill you should not over handle them. This means they should only be flipped over once and rotated once per-side.
- To cook a medium steak, you should let the it cook for about 2 minutes before rotating it with a corner turn. The quarter turn will give your steaks the nice grill marks you find in the best steakhouses.
- Remember you are only as good as your tools. Follow the grilling guide on this page and make sure you check the temperature with your meat thermometer.
- After you've taken your steak off of the grill it's really important to let it sit. Chef D explained that by letting a steak sit for 5 minutes you really seal in the flavour and lock in all of the juices.
- The final tip that Chef D gave us about how to grill the perfect steak was to make sure that you are using a high quality knife and cutting your steak against the grain.
If you follow the 6 simple yet crucial tips above you're almost guaranteed to grill the perfect steak each and everytime you fire up the BBQ.