Ingredients for Mushroom Risotto:
- 2 tbsp Olive oil 1 medium onion finely chopped 1 cup chopped mushrooms.
- 8 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of Italian rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
Instructions for Mushroom Risotto:
- In a large, heavy saucepan over low heat, cook the onion and mushrooms in the olive oil. Stir ingredients over low heat until soft (not browned).
- At the same time, simmer the chicken stock over medium heat.
- Increase the heat under the mushrooms and onions to medium and add the Italian rice. Stir constantly for 3 minutes, then add the white wine. Again, keep stirring to prevent sticking, as the rice absorbs the wine.
- Then, start adding the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time. (Each cup must be absorbed before adding the next.) Stir to keep from sticking. Once 6 cups of chicken stock have been added, add the remaining stock ½ cup at a time. Be sure to sample taste the rice – it should be tender but still a little firm to bite (that is, never mushy).
- Fold in 1 tbsp butter, then Parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
Note: Risotto takes about 20 minutes once the first liquid is added.